What I'm Up To
I am a Patent Attorney, Partner, at Lowe Graham Jones, PLLC.
I used to be a Lecturer at the Department of CSE at the University of
Before that, I was Chief Architect of VocalPoint Technologies, Inc.,
in San Francisco. Now known as Loquendo SPA.
Here's some stuff I've been working on over the past years:
- Ask Alice An online service to predict whether a patent claim is likely to be rejected for being directed to non-patentable subject matter under Alice v. CLS Bank.
- Mechanizing Alice: Automating the Subject Matter Eligibility Test of Alice v. CLS Bank Journal of Law, Technology and Policy, Vol. 2018, No. 1, 2018.
- Estimating the Impact of Alice v. CLS Bank Based on a Statistical Analysis of Patent Office Subject Matter Rejections Using machine learning to predict subject matter rejections. Using machine learning to estimate the number of issued patents invalidated by Alice v. CLS Bank.
- Derivative Works Under the GNU General Public License What's good for the GNU might not be good for the gander.
- Vendor Liability for Computer
Security Defects Are software vendors getting off too easy?
a system that includes a language (C subset), compiler, assembler,
linker, simulator, for teaching computer architecture. (With John
Zahorjan.) Best used in conjunction with:
a computer architecture simulation toolkit (with, or really by, John
- Introduction to Programming in Java (draft text):
- Course libaries
for a Java-enabled version of CSE142/3 (our Intro programming sequence). Also available here.
Here are some other courses I've taught or been otherwise involved
with in the past.
Older Papers and Essays